Friday, April 9, 2010

Thrift Store Frame Project

Ok friends. I have a new addiction. Thrift stores!!! Oh man, you can find so many things to do with an ugly old frame, a busted lamp, candle sticks, etc...
Let's just say I am in the middle of at least three projects and I have been to the thrift stores twice already...this week! Bonus - It's cheap so I don't have to feel too guilty when I shop =)
Here is my first frame revamp. Just for you guys!

I started with this. An old silvery frame. Not metal, it's fake. I don't really love it as a picture frame, but....

it makes a fun chalkboard! I love it =) Mine is for the kitchen. You can use it to let your family know what's for dinner.

Write cute notes to each other...or to do lists =) Or that one random item you forget no matter how many times you go to the grocery store just for that one thing!
Yes that is Mr. Sock Bunny...Weston's crafts are everywhere!


Or just use it to keep your munchkin busy while you attempt to make dinner. You could have new kitchen art every day of the week!
Anyway, I love it! All you need is:
- frame
- chalkboard paint (I used the spray kind)
- chalk
Seriously the easiest project ever! Find a cute frame, take the glass out to clean it. Lay the glass flat on some paper or a paper bag. Paint it following the directions on your container. For mine I did two coats, 20 minutes apart and let it set for 24 hours. If your glass is sliding a little in your frame (mine was) just use whatever heavy duty glue you have around (I used E6000) and glue the glass to the inside of the frame. Be careful no glue oozes out the front. Again, let it set. Put your frame together and voila! How fun!
Remember if you hate the color of your frame, just paint it. I still can't decide if I want to paint mine. I did and just couldn't decide what color...now I am sorta liking the silver.
If you make one, make sure you post pictures!
P.S. When making this, please be careful of the glass. The glass edges on my older frame were actually very sharp. I now have quite a lovely cut on my thumb!
P.S.S. I did see something like this on a blog, but I have been blog hopping like crazy and have NO clue where I got the idea. If you think it was you, let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment