What do you call these? Bowl on a pedestal? I don't know, but I love them. I do NOT love the price tag though!
So, it's time to head over to the thrift store and make your own.
Trust me...you can do it!!
So, it's time to head over to the thrift store and make your own.
Trust me...you can do it!!
This is what I started with. A wooden salad bowl and a wooden candlestick. I think the bowl was 1.99 and the candlestick was around the same price. Well actually a little less cause my store does 30% off all donated items. Anyway...pretty ugly huh?First thing first...sand baby sand. It sucks and it can take a long time, but it will be worth it in the end! Promise!

Once you've sanded it enough to get previous paint or varnish off and the surface is smooth, you are ready to glue them together. I used liquid nails (a glue, you can find it at WalMart and hardware type stores), but you could also use gorilla glue. Just make sure on the package it says it works on wood surfaces.
Glue the candlestick to the bottom of your bowl and leave it to set for quite awhile. Probably best to do it over night.
I would also tape it down and put something heavy on top. I am always so excited to get going, I don't bother to stop and find the most appropriate supplies. So I used scotch tape and two paint cans (stacked on top of each other) to hold it down while the glue dried.
After the glue has set spray paint that sucker! I picked black, but it would be cute it white too. Or even a bright color...I kinda love yellow right now =)
When you spray paint, make sure you do light coats and keep your spray can the correct distance from the bowl. If you get the spray can to close to the bowl, you will end up with drips. If you end up with drips, you will have to sand again and do another coat!
Not that I know from experience or anything ;o)
After all that work, you end end up with a beauty like this!
Aw, so pretty =) I bought these lemons to make sorbet, and I refuse to make it until I get more lemons. They look too pretty in my bowl!
I actually took these pictures a week or so ago, with the apples, but I never remembered to post them. The lemons looks so much prettier, but the apples would be amazing in the fall.
Of course Weston acted like he was dieing waiting for me to finish taking pictures so he could eat an apple. He didn't even eat it! Off to the side of all these pictures is a cropped out Weston going "Mommy, can I eat an apple?""Mommy are you done?"
"Mommy is it my turn for the apples?"
"Mooo -meeee I want an apple!!!"
Oh the joy of three year olds =)



Beautiful! (The bowl and the boy. :-)).
ReplyDeletethat looks fantastic!! and i keep forgetting to tell you, i tried your spicy honey chicken and we loved it! :) thanks!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love it, how craftastic!
ReplyDelete