Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chik-Fil-A wannabe (and pretty flowers)

I am in love with Chik-fil-A. L-O-V-E!!!!! If you haven't eaten there...well you should. Like hop in the car and go now.

Of course, as the world hates me, there are no Chik-fil-A in my area. Chik-fil-a in Cali was basically nonexistent, until a few years ago. They actually built a "restaurant" in my hometown about 6 months AFTER I moved. Seriously! The world hates me =(

So now that you know my love of Chik-fil-a, you can understand my excitement when I found this recipe (today!) for homemade "chik-fil-a" nuggets. Our menu was immediately changed as I had to have them...ASAP. They turned our pretty darn good. Mine were a little too salty, so I reduced that. You must try these!



oil for frying (chik-fil-a uses peanut, I used canola)
2 chicken breasts
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
2 1/2 Tbsp. Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. pepper
2-2.5 tsp. salt
(original calls for 1 Tbsp, but it was too salty for me!)

- Trim the fat off the chicken (not that it helps much when you are frying it =)
- Cut the chicken in small chunks or strips
- Mix egg/milk in a bowl and put the chicken in to soak
- Mix together flour, powdered sugar, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl
- heat oil in pan to 375 degrees (I turned it to med/med-high)
- take chicken from egg/milk and cover in flour
- for extra crunch and yumminess, put the chicken back in the milk/egg and coat in flour again
- gently place the chicken in hot oil
- when you see it looking a caramel-y brown, flip the chicken over
- when done, remove and drain on a paper towel

(doesn't my camera suck...UGH!)
Now EAT!

These were so-0-0-0 yummy! They seemed almost too simple, but the sweetness was really good. We will definitely eat these again, with less salt!

If you like sweet and sour dipping sauce, check out the link above for a homemade dipping sauce recipe. I am not a fan so I didn't try it out, but I bet it's good.

Now, just cause it makes me happy, look at these flowers.

I don't know about you guys, but I go to the store and I just want fresh flowers. So I buy, whatever is on sale and cheap. I didn't even know what these were called, but they were only $3 or $4, and beautiful!

A few black rocks, a little bit of water and some lovely gladiolas (I think!). Simple and beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. They are Gladiolas, and they do look really nice next to your lemons.

    Melissa S

    ReplyDelete